PWTC rides are rated by terrain from A, flat, to E, extremely hilly:
- A - Basically flat, no steep hills
- B - Gently rolling terrain with one or two short hills
- C - Moderate terrain with rolling short steep hills or moderate, sustained climbs
- D - Difficult terrain with longer, steeper hills
- E - Extreme terrain with frequent steep hills and long sustained climbs
PWTC rides are rated by pace from Slow to Fast-Paced:
Speed indicated is while on a flat or gentle hill terrain—not an average speed, but a cruising speed. Remember that most rides are non-group so pace does not matter, but if you want to know the general pace of the ride in order to keep up with the ride leader, pace is provided:
- No Speed Provided – Ride leader has not submitted a pace
- Slow – Speeds approximately 10-13 mph (or in a group ride, the pace of the slowest rider)
- Leisurely – Speeds approximately 13-15 mph
- Moderate – Speeds approximately 15-17 mph
- Fast Paced – Normally a paceline ride; speeds in excess of 18 mph
Ride Rating Possibilities:
A/No Speed Provided; A/Slow; A/Leisurely; A/Moderate; A/Fast Paced
B/No Speed Provided; B/Slow; B/Leisurely; B/Moderate; B/Fast Paced
C/No Speed Provided; C/Slow; C/Leisurely; C/Moderate; C/Fast Paced
D/No Speed Provided; D/Slow; D/Leisurely; D/Moderate; D/Fast Paced
E/No Speed Provided; E/Slow; E/Leisurely; E/Moderate; E/Fast Paced
For example, a C/Moderate ride would have "moderate terrain with rolling short steep hills or moderate, sustained climbs" with a Moderate (15-17 mph) pace while riding on a flat terrain.
Types of Rides:
- Group ride - Riders will stay together
- Regroup ride - Riders will spread out, and regroup at specific points along the route (map provided)
- Non-group ride - Riders will spread out with no planned regroup points along the route (map provided)
- Helmets are required on all PWTC rides: ASTM, CPSC or Snell approved.
- All riders need to sign in on the waiver/sign in sheet at the beginning of the ride.
- Arrive early. Rides leave at the time stated in the ride description. Please arrive 15 minutes prior to the ride to allow yourself time to prepare, sign in, and get a map.
- Bring along a bottle (or two) of water to stay hydrated.
- Bring a tire pump, tools, and a spare tube.
- Bring some cash. Most rides include a stop for refreshments.
- Carry some sort of identification or create something with your name, address, an emergency contact, and medical problems or medications.
- Riders under the age of 18 need to be accompanied by a parent/guardian (sorry, it's that pesky liability stuff).